Company: City of Cerritos
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Open Until Filled**
Under direction of the Assistant City Engineer performs civil
engineering work involving public works construction and traffic
engineering projects within the City, supervises engineering
personnel and performs related work as required.
Job Characteristics : May work a varying schedule of hours, which
may include nights, early mornings, weekends and holidays. Examples
- Designs and prepares plans, specifications and estimates in
connection with construction and maintenance of a variety of civil
engineering projects, including traffic related items.
- Acts as project manager for a variety of large capital
improvement projects; coordinates and administers all phases of the
- Performs advanced calculations for the design of hydraulics,
structures, engineering economics, and related civil engineering
- Checks improvement plans, subdivision maps, and private
- Makes written reports on capital improvement projects and
- May be required to make field inspections during construction
of public works projects.
- Assists the public by providing information, plans and
- May be required to administer contracts for installation of
traffic control devices, traffic signals, street lights and
- Assists in right-of-way acquisition including responsibility
for proper filing.
- May be required to attend Planning Commission and other public
E MPLOYMENT STANDARDS:
- City Engineering policies and procedures.
- Federal and State laws applicable to area assigned.
- Design, construction and repair of streets, highways, sanitary
sewers, storm drains, traffic control devices and related public
- Hydraulics and hydrology, structural design, engineering
economics, and land survey.
- Uses of asphalt and concrete.
- Computer aided drafting, AutoCAD, MS Office and other
- Perform difficult and varied engineering calculations.
- Coordinate projects with federal, state and local
- Manage significant capital improvement projects from inception
to final construction.
- Work independently and follow instructions.
- Read engineering drawings related to construction and
- Understand and carry out difficult oral and written
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with
those contacted in the course of work.
- Make oral presentations at public meetings.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed indoors
and outdoors. When work is performed outdoors there is exposure to
the elements. When performing inspections the incumbent may walk
and stand on slippery /uneven slopes and surfaces and be exposed to
vehicular traffic. Indoor office work requires sitting at a desk or
table for periods of time and the use of a computer, keyboard, and
related equipment. The incumbent may sit, stand, walk, reach, bend
twist, grasp, lift and may carry boxes of records and other items
weighing up to 30 pounds. The Associate Civil Engineer must be able
to meet the physical requirements of the class and have mobility,
vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the duties to
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Any combination of training and experience
that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities. A
typical way to obtain these would be: A Bachelor's degree from an
accredited college or university with major course work in civil
engineering or a related field. Possession of a California
Engineer-in-Training (E.I.T) certificate is required at time of
appointment. Professional Engineering licensure in Civil
Engineering is desirable. A minimum of three years of municipal
civil engineering experience is required.
A valid California driver's license is required.
Keywords: City of Cerritos, Cerritos , Civil Engineer, Other , cerritos, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!