Company: The American College of Radiation Oncology
Posted on: January 13, 2021
Description VCA Animal Hospitals operates more than 1,000 small
animal veterinary hospitals in the U.S., Canada and Japan. The
hospitals are staffed by more than 4,500 fully qualified, dedicated
and compassionate veterinarians to give pets the very best in
medical care, of which over 600 are board certified specialists who
are experts in areas such as oncology, cardiology, emergency and
critical care, and surgery for animals. VCA Animal Hospitals
provides a full range of general practice services to keep pets
well and specialized treatments when pets are ill. As part of the
Mars Veterinary Health family of brands, VCA is committed to its
purpose-A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS--.
VCA Lakewood Animal Hospital - Medical Director - Job
VCA Lakewood Animal Hospital AAHA-accredited, 24-hour general and
emergency practice in Cerritos, California, is hiring an
experienced Medical Director to lead our team! This is a wonderful
opportunity to have a positive and lasting impact on colleagues and
We are looking for a veterinarian preferably board certified in
Internal Medicine or Emergency and Critical Care (other specialties
will also be considered) with well-developed leadership skills who
is interested in working in a fast-paced ER/urgent care
VCA Lakewood Animal Hospital is a well-established 15-doctor
practice that has been a staple in the community for over 71 years.
Our team of approximately 120 team members are dedicated to VCA's
mission "Where Your Pets Health is our Top Priority and Excellent
Service is our Goal". We have a collaborative, team approach to
medicine and a great client base.
Our 10,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility is fully equipped
with continuous EKG monitoring, Doppler BP, ultrasound, endoscopy,
laparoscopy, oxygen cages and digital radiography.
Cerritos is in the heart of the Los Angeles/Orange County metro
center, midway between Downtown Los Angeles and the business
centers of Irvine, Santa Ana and Anaheim. Cerritos is a wonderful,
thriving community that is a great place to live, work and shop.
Cerritos is within 30 minutes of the ocean, 2 hours to the
mountains or to Palm Springs. There are plenty of activities year
round to look forward to during your time off.
The Medical Director (MD), under direction of the Regional Medical
Director (RMD) and Regional Vice President (RVP), and Chief of
Staff is responsible for establishing the medical quality and
patient care practiced by all doctors in the hospital. The MD
achieves this through strong leadership and by serving as a mentor
and role model for the associate veterinarians and staff. The
Medical Director should demonstrate a strong work ethic, integrity,
and a consistent positive attitude. The MD is also an integral part
of the hospital management team responsible for the overall
financial performance of the hospital, and helps create and drive
the overall direction for the hospital that will achieve positive
results. The MD also fulfills all of the duties of a staff
veterinarian in addition to the specific responsibilities of
We look forward to hearing from you!
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Experience and proven leadership skills are a must for this
- Ability to take information obtained from clients, staff, and
other sources, discern that which is credible, and assess the
hospital and/or a situation objectively.
- Ability to multi-task and deal with high levels of stress in an
environment of changing priorities.
- Is able to take charge, initiate actions, hold people
accountable, and delegate responsibilities in such a way as to
achieve positive results.
- Comfortably and confidently confronts difficult issues with
co-workers and is a skilled communicator at multiple levels within
- Is capable of, and willing to work the hours necessary to
accomplish the required responsibilities and ensure the smooth
operation of the hospital.
Education and Experience
- Must have at least 5-years' experience in a leadership role.
Preferably a Board Certified Internist and/or Criticalist. Doctor
of Veterinary Medicine or equivalent from an accredited university
- Stays up to date with changes in veterinary medicine, fulfills
VCA requirements for attending local VCA hosted CE, and completes a
minimum of 30 hours of accredited CE per calendar year.
Standards of Care
- Strives to meet or exceed the VCA and AAHA standards of
- Medical records are complete, detailed, and signed per VCA
- Demonstrates commitment to professional integrity and pursuit
- Practices ethical medicine at all times, and ensures the same
from associate doctors.
- Ensures positive communication with clients and between
doctors. This includes the
proper transfer of patient care responsibility between doctors.
- Implements information from Chief Medical Officer , RMD, RVP or
- VCA email and correspondence is processed and addressed on a
- Treats all patients & clients with care and compassion,
remembering that the patient's well-being is the top priority.
- Oversees administration and case review of client medical
complaints and resolves the
problems when possible, while keeping the RMD and RVP informed of
Staff Management: Professional Staff
- Implements and maintain consistent medical standards and
guidelines within the hospital.
- Evaluate quality medical/compliance reports on a monthly basis
and take steps to improve areas of poor performance.
- Organize systems for daily medical rounds and ensure they are
- Review patient records for completeness and accuracy and use as
a tool to promote medical excellence.
- Regularly discuss cases with doctors and/or staff to optimize
- Ensure that credit for procedures is accurately appropriated,
and review the detailed orders to
ensure that charges are captured and properly assigned.
- Ensure CE requirements are met by all doctors, and that CE
attended is relevant to the service mix and needs of the
- Conduct regular doctor meetings.
- Coordinate doctor coverage to make sure the hospital is covered
at all times.
- Actively manage all doctors to ensure that they meet expected
- Administer yearly reviews and development plans for all
associate doctors under the direction of the RMD or RVP.
- Appropriately manage controlled drugs (see VCA Controlled
Staff Management: Technicians/Assistants and Receptionists
- Assist the Hospital Manager in ensuring each staff meeting has
relevant topics, presenting a
medical topic if needed, and participate proactively in the
- Encourage all staff to increase knowledge through learning
Responsibilities as part of the Hospital Leadership Team
- Works with the Hospital Manager, Chief of Staff and staff to
deliver a consistent medical message and consistent client
experience to each client.
- Represents the hospital to the professional community and the
general public as requested.
- Evaluates the need for new medical equipment and works with the
Hospital Manager to
prepare and submit new equipment requests to the RMD/RVP
- Participates in meetings or conference calls as requested by
field management staff.
- Review the P&L monthly with the Hospital Manager.
- Work with the HM to prepare and submit the yearly budget
(budget forecast, operating plan,
cap-ex expenditures) and participate in the evaluation process with
- Support the implementation of VCA marketing programs.
- Review and approve requests for alternatives of additional
drugs and medical supplies. Submit to the RMD or their
representative, for approval. Assist the medical supplies ordering
personnel to maintain a hospital pharmacy; assisting in evaluating
reasonable reorder points, generic alternatives, and eliminating
underused and redundant drugs.
As a member of the VCA family, your passion for medicine and
compassion for pets and people is matched with a commitment to your
professional growth. Among the reasons to consider joining VCA
- Network of 3,800+ doctors, including more than 600
- Largest provider of Private Practice Internships and
Residencies in the U.S.
- WOOF University, offering abundant CE for Doctors and
- Robust Clinical Studies program.
- Opportunities to give back through strong Shelter partnerships
and VCA Charities.
- Job ID: 55472636
- Position Title: Specialty Medical Director Please refer to the
company's website or job descriptions to learn more about them.
2001 6th Ave, Suite 2700 Seattle, Washington 98121 (206)
Keywords: The American College of Radiation Oncology, Cerritos , Medical Director, Executive , Cerritos, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!